Do you ever suffer from sleep apnea? Sleep apnea is a common sleep disorder that is characterized by irregular breathing patterns while you sleep. This can be caused by lack of oxygen in your airways or even failed signals instructing your body to breathe while asleep. Some of the potential risks that sleep apnea can cause are high blood pressure, strokes, and even death. Listed below is some additional information about sleep apnea:
– Sleep apnea linked to obstructed airways is called obstructive sleep apnea.
– Sleep apnea linked to signals from your brain failing to be read by your muscles is called central sleep apnea.
– Males over the age of 40 are most at risk for sleep apnea.
– Sleep apnea can be caused by allergies, sinus problems, a family history of the disorder, genetics, nasal blockages, a deviated septum, breathing obstructions, large tonsils, a large tongue, a small jaw, and various environmental factors.
– Sleep apnea can potentially result in serious conditions such as heart attacks or stroke.
If you would like to schedule an oral examination at Carolyn L. Yu, DDS, simply call our dentist office in Pinole, California, at our number 510.974.2147. Dr. Carolyn Yu and our entire team look forward to making your smile shine!